09 Nov 1 Cor 3:11 (Temple of God) by Kathryn Lopez
Kathryn’s reflections: Today’s readings are a treasure trove. It would do us well to wake up every day and read today’s second reading. Paul asks us: “Do you not know that you are the temple of God, and that the Spirit of God dwells in you?” He reminds us: “If anyone destroys God’s temple, God will destroy that person; for the temple of God, which you are, is holy.” What glorious unity! And as the day – today or tomorrow and every day — presents its challenges, today’s psalm provides nourishment: “God is our refuge and our strength, an ever-present help in distress. Therefore, we fear not, though the earth be shaken and mountains plunge into the depths of the sea.” Honestly, what more do we need? Not even Siri — latest iPhone invention — is that good. Nothing of man is. God alone. And yet He offers it all – everything good, eternally – to undeserving us. Read today’s readings and how can we not agree “”? How can we not pray it does? Because in today’s readings is the God’s honest truth: We can’t do it alone. And we don’t have to. And the peace of Christ is the peace that will nourish, protect, and raise us up. I am reminded of St. Catherine of Siena today, whose words were featured in the Magnificat earlier this week: “Engraft yourself onto the tree of the cross. Bind yourself by love, by measureless, infinite charity, to the slain lamb who pours out his blood from every part of his body. Let these hearts of ours be broken open! No more harness, no more carelessness – for time does not sleep but runs its course relentlessly! Let us make our dwelling place with Him in love and holy desire, and we need never be afraid again.”
* is editor-at-large of National Review Online and a nationally syndicated columnist who writes and speaks frequently on faith and public life and building a culture of life (biography).
Faith Challenge: What are you doing at 3 this afternoon? Build the Chaplet of Divine Mercy into your day…in atonement for our sins and the culture of death.
Our Prayers:Prayer to end abortion. LIFE Runners Creed & Patron Saint. Add Prayers. Pray with meals, bedtime, wake up, etc. Consider mid-week Family Rosary (17 min). Let’s pray now.
* Act of Consecration to the Sacred Heart of Jesus
Feast Day: Today is the Feast of the Dedication of the Lateran Basilica in Rome, “mother and head of all churches of the City and the World.” On this day in 2008, Pope Benedict noted: “The beauty and harmony of churches, destined to render praise to God, invites us, limited and sinners, to form a ‘cosmos,’ a well-ordered edifice, in communion with Jesus, who is the true Holy of Holies.”
Faith Quote: “Lead, kindly Light, amid the encircling gloom, Lead thou me on! The night is dark, and I am far from home, Lead thou me on!” ~ Blessed John Henry NewmanThrough Christ Our Lord,Kathryn1 Tm 1:15
* Pray/Fast:Prayer connects us with God’s will & His miracles, changing us & helping others. Fast from things that take your eyes off Jesus. Those who pray together stay together, and close to God!
* Save Unborn (& family): Abortion reality (images)…#1 death cause (22% pregnancies). Prov 24:11 & Jer 1:5. “A great poverty that a child must die that you might live as you wish.” Mother Teresa.
* Evangelize: Make room for unbelievers & re-evangelization of self, by way of prayer (relationship) and following Christ’s example of love (service/sacrifice/mercy). Matt 28:19.