10 Jun 1 Kings 17:15-16 (humility, spiritual gifts)
Posted on Tuesday 10 June, 2008
* Welcome God every morning before work by taking ~5 min to read this Living In Faith Exchange (LIFE) Group devotion (life-devotions.blogspot.com), which has snippets from Living Faith (livingfaith.com).
She was able to eat for a year, and he and her son as well; the jar of flour did not go empty, nor the jug of oil run dry… 1 Kings 17:15-16
Living Faith snippets: “Elijah and the widow did not rely on their own power or ingenuity to keep the flour and oil from running out. Instead, they used these gifts humbly and gratefully each day, entrusting their endurance and life-giving power to God.” by Sr. Melannie Svoboda
Rich’s comments: It is difficult sometimes to be humble, especially in today’s society in which personal achievements are valued as self-worth. We need to set pride aside and recognize that it is Jesus Christ who empowers us. We can do all things through Him who strengthens us by the Holy Spirit. God has empowered us by blessing us with one or more Spiritual Gifts. The following website is one of many quizes that you can take that will help you recognize the Spiritual Gifts God has given you: http://www.kodachrome.org/spiritgift/.
Our Prayers: Abortion, our enemies, our troops, China earthquake, Myanmar cyclone, depression/despair, prisoners, Vicki Miller (her cancer treatment), Beth O’Connor (her friend Cally)
Faith quote: “Every day do your best. God will do the rest.” — unknown author
Through Christ Our Lord,
* Outreach: Let’s gladly invite those near us to join our LIFE Devotions group (Mark 16:15), providing routine spiritual connection and strength (simply forward a devotion with an invitation).
* Today’s Bible readings at www.usccb.org/nab/today.shtml.
* Prayer: Prayer connects us with God’s will & His miracles, thereby changing us & helping others. Wayne Watson lyrics, “When God’s people pray, there is hope reborn, there is sin forgiven, and miracles you can’t explain await!” “If you pray that God will move a mountain and He doesn’t, assume Christ wants you to climb it instead & see Him.”
* Defend the unborn: ‘Rescue those who are unjustly sentenced to death; don’t stand back and let them die’ (Prov 24:11). ‘Before I formed you in the womb, I knew you’ (Jer 1:5). ‘It is a great poverty that a child must die that you might live as you wish’ Blessed Mother Teresa. Click for Prayer to End Abortion.
* Evangelization: Let’s make room for non-believers (be a friend, make a friend, lead friend to Christ) and perpetual re-evangelization of self and those near us, by way of daily prayer (relationship) and following Christ’s example of selfless love, mercy, and service.
Let’s joyfully live out the Good News and gladly tell others about it (Mark 16:15)!