12 Jun 2 Corinthians 4:7 (earthen vessels)
Posted on Friday 12 June, 2009
Let’s welcome God every morning before work by giving a few minutes to read this Living In Faith Exchange (LIFE) Group devotion (life-devotions.blogspot.com), which is based on Living Faith. All whatsoever you do in word or in work, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ. Col. 3:17
We hold this treasure in earthen vessels, that the surpassing power may be of God and not from us.
2 Corinthians 4:7 (full readings
Living Faith snippets: “St. Paul tells us we are all earthen vessels. What an appropriate image! Though vulnerable, we are still valuable; though imperfect, we are precious; though flawed, we are cherished. Our survival ultimately comes not from our own power, but from the surpassing power of God.” by Sr. Melannie Svoboda
Rich’s comments: Pride is the number one deadly sin, because in pride we believe that we do not need God and we reject Him. We need to remember that we are as fragile as earthen vessels, and our survival ultimately comes from God’s power. When you struggle to be holy, do not be frustrated when you fail. Remember that it is humanly impossible for us to be holy without the grace of God. We need God, and God wants us to need Him. Pray for meekness and humility of mind and heart. “God resists the proud but He gives grace to the humble”. (James 4:6)
Faith Challenge: Let’s challenge each other to joyfully live out the Good News.
* NEW: The next time you feel the urge to boast about your accomplishments, remember to give all credit to our Lord Jesus Christ.
Our Prayers: Those who pray together stay together. Fasting ideas in footnote below.
* Prayer to end abortion
, abused children, chastity, peace, our enemies, our troops, depression/ despair, prisoners, ProLife
politicians, illnesses/injuries, jobs, natural disasters, addictions, Jason Peters (his son JP in hospital), Rich Reich (his Dad’s has blocked brain artery), Carla Neal (Jean, Brenda, Donna, Joe & family, Roy, Joan, Mary Ann, Christina, Kenneth, Angela, Sue, Tammy, Tim & Family), Sue Peters (Wendi Kotlinsky
cancer treatment was successful!), Rich Reich (Anne Vieira’s
sister-in-law died suddenly.)
Faith Quote: “A proud man is always looking down on things and people; and, of course, as long as you’re looking down, you can’t see something that’s above you.” – C.S. Lewis
Through Christ our Lord,
* Prayer: Prayer connects us with God’s will & His miracles, changing us & helping others. ‘If you pray that God will move a mountain and He doesn’t, assume Christ wants you to climb it instead.’
* Fasting: Let’s fast from things that take our eyes off Jesus (selfishness, bitterness, being so critical, impatience, gossip, excessive video games, etc) and take on things that fix our eyes on Jesus (selflessness, kindness, compassion, forgiveness, patience, understanding, caring, helping, listening).
* Defend the unborn: ‘Rescue those who are unjustly sentenced to death; don’t stand back and let them die’ (Prov 24:11). ‘Before I formed you in the womb, I knew you’ (Jer 1:5). ‘It is a great poverty that a child must die that you might live as you wish’ (Blessed Mother Teresa).
* Evangelization: Let’s make room for unbelievers (be a friend, make a friend, lead friend to Christ) and perpetual re-evangelization of self and those near us, by way of daily prayer (relationship) and following Christ’s example of selfless love, mercy, and service.
Let’s joyfully invite others to join our LIFE Group…Rich or Pat will gladly add them to the devotions distribution list (Mark 16:15