10 Apr Acts 8:36-38 (Pray and Study — Then Act)
Posted on Thursday 10 April, 2008
* Welcome God every morning before work by taking ~5 min to read this Living In Faith Exchange (LIFE) Group devotion (life-devotions.blogspot.com), which has snippets from Living Faith (http://www.livingfaith.com/).
“Look, there is water. What is to prevent my being baptized?” Then he ordered the chariot to stop, and Philip and the eunuch both went down into the water, and he baptized him. Acts 8:36-38
Living Faith snippets: “This story reminds us that prayer, study and action belong together. At an impasse, we need help to understand. Apprehensive, we need courage to step forth and live the truth. God, push me to put my convictions into practice.” by Jeanne Schuler
Rich’s comments: Today’s reading from the Acts of the Apostles tells the story of how Philip heard a pagan eunuch reciting words from the Prophet Isaiah. Philip asked him if he understood what he was reading. The eunuch answered, “How can I, unless someone instructs me?” This story tells us some important things about the Good News. First of all, there is something that draws people to it, even unlikely people. Secondly, if someone doesn’t get proper instruction they won’t understand it. Today we might think that people really aren’t interested in hearing or knowing about God. Although this can be discouraging and keep us from talking about Him, if we keep quiet we play right into the devil’s hands. Like in the story of the eunuch, how could he come to understand if Philip didn’t seize the moment to instruct him? The lesson becomes clear, we must take those opportunities that pop into our lives to be heralds of the Good News, to share with others what we have known ourselves and have come to believe. Lord, may I continue to build my relationship with You by praying and studying Your Word, so that when an opportunity does arise, I may be ready to act in Your name. Amen.
Through Christ Our Lord,
* Today’s Bible readings at www.usccb.org/nab/today.shtml.
* Prayer: If you have a prayer request, simply send it to our distribution list at email@example.com. Prayer connects us with God’s will & His miracles, thereby changing us & helping others (so let’s pray daily!). Wayne Watson lyrics, “When God’s people pray, there is hope reborn, there is sin forgiven, and miracles you can’t explain await!” “If you pray that God will move a mountain and He doesn’t, assume Christ wants you to climb it instead & see Him” (author unknown).
* Defend the unborn: Pro-Life websites at life-devotions.blogspot.com. ‘Rescue those who are unjustly sentenced to death; don’t stand back and let them die’ (Prov 24:11). ‘Before I formed you in the womb, I knew you’ (Jer 1:5). ‘It is a great poverty that a child must die that you might live as you wish’ Blessed Mother Teresa. Click for Prayer to End Abortion.
* Other devotions: Sr. Francelle (sisterfrancelle.blogspot.com) and COUGARS daily (cougarsdaily.blogspot.com). Would you like to be added?
* Share the Good News: Let’s joyfully live out the Good News and gladly tell others about it (Mark 16:15)!