07 Sep Col 3:5 (“Tending the Temple”) by Lisa Everett
“Put to death, then, the parts of you that are earthly: immorality, impurity, passion, evil desire, and the greed that is idolatry.” ~ Col 3:5 (full readings)
Lisa’s Reflections: How often do the sinful attitudes and actions which St. Paul lists—immorality, impurity, passion, greed— lead directly to the culture of death?! The vast majority of abortions, for example, are performed on unmarried women who are left to deal, often alone, with the consequences of impurity and immorality. And providing abortion “services” is a very lucrative business, driven in most cases not by a misguided desire to help women in difficult circumstances, but by greed, pure and simple. The terrible truth is that unless we are willing to put to death those parts of ourselves that are sinful, we end up with a society that is willing to put to death innocent people. Yet this terrible truth that touches each of us in one way or another is trumped by a truth that is stunning and beautiful and even more powerful…by giving His life on the cross, He who was without sin put to death our sins, once and for all. All we have to do is to surrender our whole lives to Christ and make a commitment to live according to his commandments, asking him to cleanse our hearts as He once cleansed the Temple in Jerusalem. He came, after all, that we might have life and have it to the full. We can do nothing better to build a culture of life than to strive ourselves, and to help others strive, for holiness.
* Lisa Everett and her husband Fred have seven children, and they are co-directors of the Office of Family Life for the Diocese of Fort Wayne-South Bend. Lisa speaks/writes on topics related to marriage, family life, human sexuality, and building a culture of life.
* Tending the Temple (365 days of spiritual and physical devotions) is a new book by LIFE Group guest authors Dr. Kevin Vost, Peggy Bowes, and Shane Kapler.
Faith Challenge: Ask the Holy Spirit to help you make a thorough and sincere examination of conscience and to make a firm commitment, with the help of His grace, to put to death any areas of sin in your life.
Our Prayers: Prayer to end abortion, Spiritual Adoption, Alpha Center, Peters family (JP). Add Prayers on our website. Pray with meals, bedtime, wake up, LIFE Runners, etc. Consider mid-week Family Rosary (17 min). Let’s pray now.
Feast Day: Blessed John Duckett and Blessed Ralph Corby.
Faith Quote: “We must have a real living determination to reach holiness. I will be a saint means I will despoil myself of all that is not God; I will strip my heart of all created things; I will live in poverty and detachment; I will renounce my will, my inclinations, my whims and fancies, and make myself a willing slave to the will of God.” ~ Blessed Mother Teresa
* Pray/Fast: Prayer connects us with God’s will & His miracles, changing us & helping others. Fast from things that take your eyes off Jesus. Those who pray together stay together, and close to God!
* Save Unborn (& family): Abortion reality (images)…#1 death cause (22% pregnancies). Prov 24:11 & Jer 1:5. “A great poverty that a child must die that you might live as you wish.” Mother Teresa.
* Evangelize: Make room for unbelievers & re-evangelization of self, by way of prayer (relationship) and following Christ’s example of love (service/sacrifice/mercy). Matt 28:19.