08 Feb Fri, 8 Feb (Isaiah 58:6)
* Welcome God every day by reading the Living Faith devotional before work (~1 min). Order at http://www.livingfaith.com/.
This, rather, is the fasting that I wish: releasing those bound unjustly, untying the thongs of the yoke. Isaiah 58:6
Devotion snippets: “It is so easy to get our culture and our faith deeply confused. Fasting! I can do something spiritual and lose weight too! I make my Lenten journey all about me and my personal sense of happiness and fulfillment: Doing these things will make me feel better about myself, because that’s the purpose of life, right? And then I hear God’s words through his prophet Isaiah. Perhaps this is all much bigger than my sense of well-being. Perhaps it is about God’s vision, which is much greater than mine.” by Amy Welborn
Devotion comment (Aimee, 7 Feb): “What you said about you seeing the verse on Sun. is sooo true! God has done that many times to me lately (I’ve blogged about them if interested.) The God sightings, as you called them, have been so incredible lately. I personally am just so excited about Lent and finally entering the church after 2.5 years of studying. I just can’t get over how awesome and good God is!”
Pat’s nuggets: Please consider sharing your “God Sightings” as a comment to this devotion post…and then send out to our group distro (address below).
Saints: Today is the feast of St. Jerome Emiliani, the patron of orphans: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint_Jerome_Emiliani. Today is also the feast of St. Josephine Bakhita, the patron of the enslaved and the Sudan: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint_josephine_bakhita.
Through Christ Our Lord,
* Daily Bible readings: www.usccb.org/nab/today.shtml
* LIFE Devotions blog: Sign up at LIFE Devotions. Please fill in your profile.
* LIFE Prayers blog: Sign up at LIFE Prayers. Prayer changes things, so let’s pray daily. Please post a prayer request (updates as a comment, send out to the distro).
* Sr. Francelle Devotions blog: Sign up at Sr. Francelle Devotions. Let me know if you (and others) would like to receive her wonderful weekly faith-application devotions.
* Devotions distro: I would gladly add other friends/family to our group distro. A “reply” to this email goes to the entire distro. If inspired, please fwd faith emails to the distro at LIFE-Group-Devotionsemail@example.com.
* Let’s joyfully live out the Good News and gladly tell others about it (Mark 16:15)!