09 Jul Hosea 10:8 (false gods, our lives matter, holiness)
Posted on Wednesday 09 July, 2008
* Welcome God every morning before work by taking ~5 min to read this Living In Faith Exchange (LIFE) Group devotion (life-devotions.blogspot.com), which has snippets from Living Faith (livingfaith.com).
The high places of Aven shall be destroyed… Then they shall cry out to the mountains, “Cover us!” and to the hills, “Fall upon us!” Hosea 10:8
Living Faith snippets: “This passage was written to admonish the people of Israel who worshipped false gods. It warns those who turn their backs on the one true God. These images are very real to me. As an archaeology student in college, I tromped around in the ruins of many an ancient city, cities that had literally turned to dust. Rather than despair that we are finite, I find great peace in believing that we will return to God. If not for God, my life would feel empty and pointless. My life matters.” by Karla Manternach
Pat nuggets: Let’s routinely reflect on the potential or reality of something having more importance than God in our lives (a false god, golden calf) and then pray about how we should prevent/fix this. This is part of our process of growing closer to God…”an unfolding of holiness” (see quote below).
Our Prayers: Abortion, our enemies/our troops, natural disasters, depression/despair, prisoners, Vicki Miller (cancer treatment), Joe Castle (11 yr old Devantae paralyzed), Kay Castle (cancer treatment for Ms. Nancy Wheeler).
Faith quote: “Do you leave space to hear God’s whisper, calling you forth into goodness? Friends, do not be afraid of silence or stillness. Listen to God. Let His word shape your journey as an unfolding of holiness.” by Pope Benedict (Apr 2008 visit to USA)
Through Christ Our Lord,
* Today’s Bible readings at www.usccb.org/nab/today.shtml.
* Prayer: Prayer connects us with God’s will & His miracles, thereby changing us & helping others. Wayne Watson lyrics, “When God’s people pray, there is hope reborn, there is sin forgiven, and miracles you can’t explain await!” “If you pray that God will move a mountain and He doesn’t, assume Christ wants you to climb it instead & see Him.”
* Defend the unborn: ‘Rescue those who are unjustly sentenced to death; don’t stand back and let them die’ (Prov 24:11). ‘Before I formed you in the womb, I knew you’ (Jer 1:5). ‘It is a great poverty that a child must die that you might live as you wish’ Blessed Mother Teresa. Click for Prayer to End Abortion.
* Evangelization: Let’s make room for non-believers (be a friend, make a friend, lead friend to Christ) and perpetual re-evangelization of self and those near us, by way of daily prayer (relationship) and following Christ’s example of selfless love, mercy, and service.
Let’s joyfully live out the Good News and gladly tell others about it (Mark 16:15)!
Post A Comment