20 May James 4:3 (God’s Will)
Posted on Tuesday 20 May, 2008
* Welcome God every morning before work by taking ~5 min to read this Living In Faith Exchange (LIFE) Group devotion (life-devotions.blogspot.com), which has snippets from Living Faith (livingfaith.com).
You ask but do not receive, because you ask wrongly … James 4:3
Living Faith snippets: “What great humility it takes to say, “Thy will, not mine.” Most of us have spiritual cataracts when it comes to seeing what we need to live as God desires, as opposed to what we want for our earthly lives. I recently heard a song that went, “How can I further the work of your kingdom when I’m so wrapped up in my own?” Sadly, we may miss the fact that we are always given exactly what we need.” by Heather Wilson
Rich’s comments: Today’s devotion reminds me of a little book I read by Bruce Wilkinson called “The Prayer of Jabez.” It is based on the scripture passage 1 Chronicles 4:9-10. If you read 1 Chronicles from the beginning, you will see that it is a long list of geneology until you get to Jabez. “Jabez was the most distinguished of the brothers. His mother had named him Jabez, saying, “I bore him with pain.” Jabez prayed to the God of Israel: “Oh, that you may truly bless me and extend my boundaries! Help me and make me free of misfortune, without pain!” And God granted his prayer.” Why did God answer the prayer of Jabez? Because Jabez asked God to increase his sphere of influence in order to do God’s will. Go to this website to learn more about this powerful prayer: http://www.allaboutprayer.org/prayer-of-jabez.htm.
Feast Day: Saint Bernadine of Siena is an example of a person who responded to God’s invitation to use his unique gifts to do God’s will. “His preaching skills were so great, and the conversions so numerous, that he has become associated with all areas of speaking, advertising, public relations, etc.” (http://saints.sqpn.com/saintb13.htm)
Our Prayers: Abortion, our enemies, our troops, China earthquake, Myanmar cyclone, depression/despair, Kay Castle (crimes against children), Vicki Miller (cancer treatment), Pam McGushin (Cindy’s cancer treatment), Tom Tenpenny (Anna’s cancer treatment), Dale Sundermann (strength for his Mom), Jenny Senour (ProLife job interview), Pat’s niece Shantelle (severely misguided by the world).
Faith Quote: “Attempt something large enough that failure is guaranteed…unless God steps in!” by Bruce Wilkinson
Through Christ Our Lord,
* Today’s Bible readings at www.usccb.org/nab/today.shtml.
* Prayer: If you have a prayer request, simply send it to our distribution list at firstname.lastname@example.org. Prayer connects us with God’s will & His miracles, thereby changing us & helping others. Wayne Watson, “When God’s people pray, there is hope reborn, there is sin forgiven, and miracles you can’t explain await!” “If you pray that God will move a mountain and He doesn’t, assume Christ wants you to climb it instead & see Him.”
* Defend the unborn: ProLife websites at life-devotions.blogspot.com. ‘Rescue those who are unjustly sentenced to death; don’t stand back and let them die’ (Prov 24:11). ‘Before I formed you in the womb, I knew you’ (Jer 1:5). ‘It is a great poverty that a child must die that you might live as you wish’ Blessed Mother Teresa. Click for Prayer to End Abortion.
* Share the Good News: Let’s joyfully live out the Good News and gladly tell others about it (Mark 16:15)! Let’s make room to share with non-believers (be a friend, make a friend, lead your friend to Christ)…and work on perpetual re-evangelization of ourselves and those close to us (Western culture), drawing closer to God’s will by way of daily prayer (relationship) and following Christ’s example of selfless love, mercy, and service…