16 Apr John 6:5 (working things out)
Posted on Friday 16 April, 2010
Let’s welcome God today with this Living In Faith Exchange (LIFE) Group devotion (archive, Facebook), based on Living Faith. Prove yourselves doers of the Word, and not merely hearers. James 1:22
When Jesus raised His eyes and saw that a large crowd was coming to Him, he said to Philip, “Where can we buy enough food for them to eat?” John 6:5 (full readings)
Living Faith snippets: “Sometimes we’re stumped by certain situations in our families, workplaces, parishes or nations. Everything looks hopeless. That’s precisely the time we must turn to Jesus and ask for His help. He just might work things out in ways we could not even imagine.” by Sr. Melannie Svoboda
* Admin: Starting next week, the devotions will be sent on Tues/Thurs. Between Sabbath days, this still allows two opportunities to provide Spiritual food that is inspirational, ecumenical (Christian unity), and ProLife (defends the unborn). Perhaps with only two devotions per week, more members will routinely take a few minutes to read the devotions and periodically share their devotion thoughts on the Facebook page (“Faithbook”), even just click “like” button or email comments directly to Rich/me. After all, we are called the Living In Faith Exchange Group…the Exchange helps keep our faith alive!
* Sr. Francelle’s devotion: Staying Connected With Your Teen. This devotion compliments today’s Living Faith snippets and Faith Quote. Sr. Francelle recommended the book “Your Kids at Risk” by Dr. Meg Meeker (M.D.). Another eye opening book by Dr. Meeker is called “Strong Fathers, Strong Daughters.”
Faith Challenges: Let’s generously share the LIFE Group by forwarding devotions or using the Facebook “invite people” link. Welcome to our newest member, Filomena Smolenski, president of A Woman’s Answer crisis pregnancy center in Gainesville, FL.
* NEW: Have you used prayer (asked God) to help you “work things out” with any strained relationships? Consider sharing your devotion thoughts on the Facebook page, to be appreciated by many.
* Never forget the horrific reality of abortion (images), #1 cause of death in America (23% of pregnancies)…courageously share ProLife Truth to expose abortion’s unjust peace, rebuilding a Culture of Life for setting the unborn (and parents) free.
Our Prayers: Those who pray together stay together, and close to God (footnotes). Peters family (JP), Prayer to end abortion, Stephanie Kemp (special intention), Christy Hubka (Fr. Mel Thompsen’s health), Brenda Alvine (God’s protection for her family), China earthquake
* NEW: Pat Castle (the sale of Steve/Tina’s home)
Faith Quote: “Prayer is a formidable weapon. In the human heart, it destroys the “wall” blocking God’s love and fills in the chasms of hatred, distrust, and resentment that often cause divisions between individuals and peoples.” John Paul II
Through Christ our Lord,
* Prayer: Prayer connects us with God’s will & His miracles, changing us & helping others. ‘If you pray that God will move a mountain and He doesn’t, assume Christ wants you to climb it instead.
* Fasting: Let’s fast from things that take our eyes off Jesus (selfishness, pornography, bitterness, criticalness, impatience, gossip, excessive video games, etc) and take on things that fix our eyes on Jesus (selflessness, kindness, compassion, forgiveness, patience, understanding, caring, helping, listening).
* Defend the unborn: ‘Rescue those who are unjustly sentenced to death; don’t stand back and let them die’ (Prov 24:11). ‘Before I formed you in the womb, I knew you’ (Jer 1:5). ‘It is a great poverty that a child must die that you might live as you wish’ (Blessed Mother Teresa).
* Evangelization: Let’s make room for unbelievers (be a friend, make a friend, lead a friend to Christ) and perpetual re-evangelization of self and those near us, by way of daily prayer (relationship) and following Christ’s example of selfless love, mercy, and service (Matt 28:19).