19 Aug Judges 6:12-13 (the Lord is with Us)
Posted on Wednesday 19 August, 2009
Let’s welcome God this morning by reflecting on this short Living In Faith Exchange (LIFE) Group devotion (life-devotions.blogspot.com), which is based on Living Faith. All whatsoever you do in word or in work, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ. Col. 3:17
The angel of the Lord appeared to him and said, “The Lord is with you, O champion!” “My Lord,” Gideon said to him, “if the Lord is with us, why has all this happened to us?”
Judges 6:12-13 (full readings
Living Faith snippets: “Listen up, all you champions out there! What’s with this attitude of yours? Yes, God is with you! He’s right here, right by your side, right within your soul! Of course he didn’t cause these difficulties to happen, but he allows them for a reason beyond your comprehension right now. He wills for you only goodness and mercy all the days of your life. He’s with you to help you bear your heavy load, to meet this challenge headon.” by Clare J. King
Rich’s comments: Is your faith easily shaken when things go wrong in your life; when there is illness, financial difficulties, or things just do not go as you had planned them? My friend Lorena told me once about graduate school that she can’t help herself, but laugh when things get really tough. It is during these really challenging times that she knows that God must be truly present, because there is no way that she could do it on her own without Him.
Faith Challenge: Let’s invite others to join the LIFE Group (>210 Christians).
NEW: When you are facing really tough times in your life, take a moment to quietly reflect on God’s presence within you.
* Let’s never forget the horrific reality of abortion (images
)…#1 cause of death in America. Let’s courageously share ProLife
Truth (John 14:6
) to create social tension for exposing abortion’s unjust peace…rebuilding a Culture of Life (Matt 5:16
) and setting the unborn free!
Our Prayers: Those who pray together stay together. Fasting ideas in footnote below.
* Prayer to end abortion
, abused children, chastity, peace, our enemies, our troops, depression/ despair, prisoners, ProLife
politicians, illnesses/injuries, jobs, natural disasters, refugees, addictions, persecuted believers, Rich Reich (friend Carolyn battling cancer), Peters family (JP in hospital), Stephanie Spader
(pregnancy concerns), Steve/Tina Castle (sell their home)
Faith Quote: “God cannot give us a happiness and peace apart from Himself, because it is not there. There is no such thing.” – C.S. Lewis
Through Christ our Lord,
* Prayer: Prayer connects us with God’s will & His miracles, changing us & helping others. ‘If you pray that God will move a mountain and He doesn’t, assume Christ wants you to climb it instead.’
* Fasting: Let’s fast from things that take our eyes off Jesus (selfishness, bitterness, being so critical, impatience, gossip, excessive video games, etc) and take on things that fix our eyes on Jesus (selflessness, kindness, compassion, forgiveness, patience, understanding, caring, helping, listening).
* Defend the unborn: ‘Rescue those who are unjustly sentenced to death; don’t stand back and let them die’ (Prov 24:11). ‘Before I formed you in the womb, I knew you’ (Jer 1:5). ‘It is a great poverty that a child must die that you might live as you wish’ (Blessed Mother Teresa).
* Evangelization: Let’s make room for unbelievers (be a friend, make a friend, lead friend to Christ) and perpetual re-evangelization of self and those near us, by way of daily prayer (relationship) and following Christ’s example of selfless love, mercy, and service.