24 Feb Luke 11:29 (Wanting More..)
Let’s welcome God today with this Living In Faith Exchange (LIFE) Group devotion (archive, Facebook), based on Living Faith. All whatsoever you do in word or in work, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ. Col. 3:17
This generation is an evil generation; it seeks a sign, but no sign is given, except the sign of Jonah. Luke 11:29 (full readings)
Living Faith snippets: “What can you give to to those who already have so much? The people had either seen or heard about the many signs that Jesus performed. And yet, some of them wanted more. Perhaps Jesus thought they should appreciate what they already had.” by Fr. Kenneth Grabner, C.S.C.
Steve’s Thoughts: Fr. Kenneth’s thought, “…some of them wanted more,” really got me thinking this morning. I think it’s human nature to want to “see with our own eyes”. But even those that witnessed great miracles like the multiplication of the loaves and fishes still turned from Jesus when he gave them the hard truth – “you must eat of my body and drink of my blood”. They replied, “But how can this be true?” How often do we think like this ourselves? How often does my own heart harden when face to face with my own selfishness? How often do I wish I just had a little “more” so that my life would be more comfortable? Lent is a time to come to grips with our own desires and set them aside, so we can have more of Jesus. Less of the world always means more of Jesus.
Faith Challenges: Let’s generously share the LIFE Group by forwarding a devotion or using our Facebook Group “invite people to join” link.
* NEW: What are you having “less” of this lent, so you can experience “more” of Jesus? Consider commenting on the Facebook Group page.
Counter-Culture News: LifeSiteNews, 40 Days for Life, Vatican, American Family Association, Priests for Life
* Let’s never forget the horrific reality of abortion (images), #1 cause of death in America (23% of pregnancies). Let’s courageously share ProLife Truth to create social tension for exposing abortion’s unjust peace, rebuilding a Culture of Life for setting the unborn (and parents) free!
* ‘Pornography Harms’ Website Launched
Our Prayers: Those who pray together stay together, and close to God (footnotes). Peters family (JP). Prayer to end abortion.
* NEW: Liz Curry (for Linda’s chemotherapy, for Kim’s cancer surgery recovery), Lisa Riess (healing for Schallert family), Rose Beizer (faith perspective for Adam)
Feast Day: Blessed Luke Beludi
Faith Quote: “Faith grows in the valleys, not on the mountain tops.” Fr. Leroy Schik, parochial vicar, Church of Our Lady of Victory (Fergus Falls, MN)
Just one Beggar showing another where the bread is,
* Prayer: Prayer connects us with God’s will & His miracles, changing us & helping others. ‘If you pray that God will move a mountain and He doesn’t, assume Christ wants you to climb it instead.
* Fasting: Let’s fast from things that take our eyes off Jesus (selfishness, pornography, bitterness, criticalness, impatience, gossip, excessive video games, etc) and take on things that fix our eyes on Jesus (selflessness, kindness, compassion, forgiveness, patience, understanding, caring, helping, listening).
* Defend the unborn: ‘Rescue those who are unjustly sentenced to death; don’t stand back and let them die’ (Prov 24:11). ‘Before I formed you in the womb, I knew you’ (Jer 1:5). ‘It is a great poverty that a child must die that you might live as you wish’ (Blessed Mother Teresa).
* Evangelization: Let’s make room for unbelievers (be a friend, make a friend, lead a friend to Christ) and perpetual re-evangelization of self and those near us, by way of daily prayer (relationship) and following Christ’s example of selfless love, mercy, and service (Matt 28:19).