08 Oct Luke 11:9 (what we really need)
Posted on Thursday 08 October, 2009
Let’s welcome God this morning by reflecting on this short Living In Faith Exchange (LIFE) Group devotion (life-devotions.blogspot.com), which is based on Living Faith. All whatsoever you do in word or in work, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ. Col. 3:17
Ask and you will receive; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you.
Luke 11:9 (full readings
Living Faith snippets: “As today’s gospel concludes, we always need to keep in mind that even when what we ask for seems obviously right and good, what we all need more than anything is “the holy Spirit”–and we may take this to mean that present circumstances are radically relative. What we need above all else is intimate, deep-down intimacy with “the Father in heaven”– and this we can be sure to receive abundantly, now and in eternity. Lord Jesus, help me to trust completely in your love.” by Mitch Finley
Rich’s comments: Today’s Gospel clearly emphasizes that we should ask God in prayer for what we need and we should be persistent about it. In praying for what we need, we should trust completely in God’s loving authority. This will give us the proper attitude to humbly place His will above our own. In doing so, we are more receptive to the promptings of the Holy Spirit, which guides us to ask for what we really need to accomplish God’s will.
Let’s all invite one person each week (John 14:6
) to join our LIFE Group (>240 of God’s children).
* NEW: Place God’s will above your own when praying, and be persistent in prayer.
LIFE Group snippets: Cleta Jasper shared, “Prayer is a fascinating thing. Years ago, we were taught the acronym, ACTS. Adoration, Contrition, Thanksgiving & Supplication. When we feel terribly anxious about a concern, it’s easy to forget the first three pieces.”
The LIFE Runners (Dave, Jason, Doug, Rich, John, Jim, Steve, Pat, Tammy, Brenda/Aaron/Trevor) ran the Twin-Cities Marathon (26.2 miles) on Respect Life Sunday (October 4th
). So far our team has raised over $2,100 towards the purchase of an ultrasound machine for A Woman’s Answer Medical Center
, FL. Although the marathon is done, the fight to defend life is not. Please consider making a donation to this worthy cause. Please make checks payable to “Knights of Columbus” and mail them to PO Box 14044, Gainesville
, FL 32604.
Those who pray together stay together. Fasting ideas in footnote below.
* Prayer to end abortion
, abused children, chastity, peace, our enemies, our troops, depression/despair, prisoners, ProLife
politicians, illnesses/injuries, jobs, natural disasters, refugees, addictions, persecuted believers, Peters family (JP in hospital
), Lynn Bishara
(for son Alex), Stephanie Spader
* NEW: Joyce Trunk’s friend was recently diagnosed with brain cancer.
Faith Quote: “We have to pray with our eyes on God, not on the difficulties.” by Oswald Chambers
Through Christ our Lord,
* Prayer: Prayer connects us with God’s will & His miracles, changing us & helping others. ‘If you pray that God will move a mountain and He doesn’t, assume Christ wants you to climb it instead.’
* Fasting: Let’s fast from things that take our eyes off Jesus (selfishness, bitterness, being so critical, impatience, gossip, excessive video games, etc) and take on things that fix our eyes on Jesus (selflessness, kindness, compassion, forgiveness, patience, understanding, caring, helping, listening).
* Defend the unborn: ‘Rescue those who are unjustly sentenced to death; don’t stand back and let them die’ (Prov 24:11). ‘Before I formed you in the womb, I knew you’ (Jer 1:5). ‘It is a great poverty that a child must die that you might live as you wish’ (Blessed Mother Teresa).
Let’s make room for unbelievers (be a friend, make a friend, lead a friend to Christ) and perpetual re-evangelization
of self and those near us, by way of daily prayer (relationship) and following Christ’s example of selfless love, mercy, and service (Matt 28:19