22 Oct Luke 12:49 (keep the fires burning)
Posted on Thursday 22 October, 2009
Let’s welcome God this morning by reflecting on this short Living In Faith Exchange (LIFE) Group devotion (life-devotions.blogspot.com), which is based on Living Faith. All whatsoever you do in word or in work, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ. Col. 3:17
I have come to set the earth on fire, and how I wish it were already blazing!
Luke 12:49 (full readings
Living Faith snippets: “As Christians, we are called to do more than love Christ. We are called to find and love the Christ in others, even when they don’t see it themselves. We are called to set them–and ourselves–on fire through evangelization, overt and otherwise, each and every day. ” by Melanie Rigney
My friend John shared an amazing conversion story with me about his first Cursillo
(retreat). John had been struggling for many years with his belief in God, wanting to hear God speak directly to him. At the beginning of the Cursillo weekend, he approached a priest and told him that he didn’t feel that he belonged and should go home. The priest simply held John’s hands, looked him directly in his eyes, and said “I am Jesus Christ, I forgive you.” The priest then repeated these words again, “I am Jesus Christ, I forgive you.” John said that he immediately felt a physical weight removed from his shoulders. John truly believes that God spoke to him directly that day through this priest. From that moment on, John’s faith was set on fire. Lord, may we be conduits of Your undying love and help us to see Your presence in others. Amen.
Let’s all invite one person each week (John 14:6
) to join our LIFE Group (>240 of God’s children).
* NEW: Treat each person who you encounter today as if they were Jesus Christ, for He resides in all of us.
* NEW: Please sign the UN Petition for the Unborn Child and the Family here
. This petition asks nations and the UN itself to recognize that a proper reading of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights must begin by protecting all life, most especially the most defenseless, the unborn child!
Those who pray together stay together. Fasting ideas in footnote below.
* Prayer to end abortion
, abused children, chastity, peace, our enemies, our troops, depression/despair, prisoners, ProLife
politicians, illnesses/injuries, jobs, natural disasters, refugees, addictions, persecuted believers, Peters family (JP in hospital
), Lynn Bishara
(for son Alex), Stephanie Spader
(for pregnancy), Joyce Trunk (friend w/brain cancer), Carol Nesbit
Faith Quote: “Each one of them is Jesus in disguise.” – Mother Teresa speaking about the people she served.
Through Christ our Lord,
* Prayer: Prayer connects us with God’s will & His miracles, changing us & helping others. ‘If you pray that God will move a mountain and He doesn’t, assume Christ wants you to climb it instead.’
* Fasting: Let’s fast from things that take our eyes off Jesus (selfishness, bitterness, being so critical, impatience, gossip, excessive video games, etc) and take on things that fix our eyes on Jesus (selflessness, kindness, compassion, forgiveness, patience, understanding, caring, helping, listening).
* Defend the unborn: ‘Rescue those who are unjustly sentenced to death; don’t stand back and let them die’ (Prov 24:11). ‘Before I formed you in the womb, I knew you’ (Jer 1:5). ‘It is a great poverty that a child must die that you might live as you wish’ (Blessed Mother Teresa).
Let’s make room for unbelievers (be a friend, make a friend, lead a friend to Christ) and perpetual re-evangelization
of self and those near us, by way of daily prayer (relationship) and following Christ’s example of selfless love, mercy, and service (Matt 28:19