26 Nov Luke 21:33 (Coming)
“Heaven and earth will pass away, but my words will not pass away.” Luke 21:33 (full readings)
* Advent is upon us – Jesus is coming! This is the beginning of the liturgical year in the Church and marks a time of preparation and waiting for Jesus. Not only are we commemorating the Nativity of Jesus over 2000 years ago, but also we reflect on the fact that he will come again. Advent or “Coming” is a time to prepare our hearts, minds and souls for the word made flesh to dwell among us. “O Come, O Come Emmanuel” rings clear in our hearts; God is with us. At a recent youth gathering at my Church we posed the question to a group of middle schoolers, “What would you do if you knew Jesus was coming to your house?” Many talked of the way they would prepare their physical homes, but eventually they began to prepare their spiritual house as well. In a very real way, this is the season that we contemplate just that – what would we do if Jesus was coming to our home?
* I recently visited a website called the “Advent Conspiracy” which speaks of how the season of Advent has been turned upside down by a culture of consumption and materialism. Corporate juggernauts have literally taken the Christmas out of Christmas as they refuse to acknowledge the reason for the season in their stores by taking it out of their advertising and barring their employees from using the traditional “Merry Christmas” greeting. How many of us feel stress and pressure as we contemplate the long lines, shopping lists, and rude encounters we will face while purchasing presents for our loved ones? And of course the Friday before the first Sunday of Advent has been titled “Black Friday” as we scurry to catch the savings and deals that abound. Check out the “Naughty or Nice” list by Liberty Counsel as you consider where to spend your Christmas dollars.
Faith Challenge: Consider dedicating some of your time, energy, and resources to bless those less fortunate this season of Advent by being Jesus to them.
Sr. Francelle’s Devotion: Why pray when God already knows what we need?
Feast Day: St. Catherine of Alexandria
Faith Quote: “It is the beautiful task of Advent to awaken in all of us memories of goodness and thus to open the doors to hope.” ~ Pope Benedict XVI
* Pray/Fast: Prayer connects us with God’s will & His miracles, changing us & helping others. Fast from things that take your eyes off Jesus. Those who pray together stay together, and close to God!
* Save Unborn (& family): Abortion reality (images)…#1 death cause (23% pregnancies). Prov 24:11 & Jer 1:5. “A great poverty that a child must die that you might live as you wish.” Mother Teresa
* Evangelize:Make room for unbelievers & re-evangelization of self, by way of prayer (relationship) and following Christ’s example of love (service/sacrifice/mercy). Matt 28:19.