30 Dec Luke 2:40 (Waiting on the Lord)
Let’s welcome God by reflecting on this Living In Faith Exchange (LIFE) Group devotion (website, Facebook), based on Living Faith. All whatsoever you do in word or in work, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ. Col. 3:17
The child grew and became strong, filled with wisdom; and the favor of God was upon him. Luke 2:40 (full readings)
Living Faith snippets: “This passage reminds me to be patient. After all the exciting events around the conception, birth, and presentation of Jesus, he goes home to grow up. The shepherds, the Magi, the choirs of angels all just have to sit back and wait thirty years for Jesus to grow into an adult and take up his mission.” by Aileen O’Donoghue
Steve’s Thoughts: This is such a provocative, stirring verse to me. There are so many years of Jesus’ life we just know nothing about. What did Jesus do? We have to trust that God had it in hand and took care of those details. Clearly he did. How often do we find that a prayer unanswered discourages us? Or that a habitual sin in our life continues to be a thorn in our side despite our best efforts? In my youth I have lacked hindsight to see how things have a way of working out. As I’ve grown into adulthood I have found that God does have a way of working through these details in the most unimagined ways. In my own life, I can point to the fact that after months of prayer my house has not sold in Sioux Falls. Yet, I have found strength as I wait on the Lord knowing he has a plan. I have found that many of those seemingly unanswered prayers were simply God whispering, “Wait…”
Faith Challenges: Let’s generously share the LIFE Group by forwarding a devotion to others or by using the “invite people to join” link on the Facebook Group. Steve, Rich, or Pat will gladly add others to the email list.
Counter-Culture News: LifeSiteNews, American Family Association, Priests for Life
* Let’s never forget the horrific reality of abortion (images), #1 cause of death in America (23% of pregnancies). Let’s courageously share ProLife Truth to create social tension for exposing abortion’s unjust peace, rebuilding a Culture of Life for setting the unborn (and parents) free!
Our Prayers: Those who pray together stay together. Fasting ideas in footnote below.
* Prayer to end abortion, abused children, chastity, peace, our enemies, our troops, depression/despair, prisoners, politicians, illnesses/injuries, jobs, natural disasters, refugees, addictions, persecuted believers, Peters family (JP, Rebekah), Shantelle Castle (special intention), Health care reform bill
Faith quotes: “Yet those who wait for the Lord will gain new strength; they will mount up with wings like eagles, they will run and not get tired, they will walk and not become weary.” ~ Isaiah 40:31
Through Christ our Lord,
* Prayer: Prayer connects us with God’s will & His miracles, changing us & helping others. ‘If you pray that God will move a mountain and He doesn’t, assume Christ wants you to climb it instead.’
* Fasting: Let’s fast from things that take our eyes off Jesus (selfishness, pornography, bitterness, criticalness, impatience, gossip, excessive video games, etc) and take on things that fix our eyes on Jesus (selflessness, kindness, compassion, forgiveness, patience, understanding, caring, helping, listening).
* Defend the unborn: ‘Rescue those who are unjustly sentenced to death; don’t stand back and let them die’ (Prov 24:11). ‘Before I formed you in the womb, I knew you’ (Jer 1:5). ‘It is a great poverty that a child must die that you might live as you wish’ (Blessed Mother Teresa).
* Evangelization: Let’s make room for unbelievers (be a friend, make a friend, lead a friend to Christ) and perpetual re-evangelization of self and those near us, by way of daily prayer (relationship) and following Christ’s example of selfless love, mercy, and service (Matt 28:19).
Post A Comment