08 Mar Luke 4:24 (saving a child…)
Posted on Monday 08 March, 2010
Let’s welcome God today with this Living In Faith Exchange (LIFE) Group devotion (archive, Facebook), based on Living Faith. Prove yourselves doers of the Word, and not merely hearers. James 1:22
Amen, I say to you, no prophet is accepted in his own native place. Luke 4:24 (full readings)
Living Faith snippets: “There is something in humanity that makes us take the familiar for granted. We rave over the guest speaker, but overlook the fine speakers in our midst. We marvel at the flowers in the botanical gardens, but miss the forsythia in our own backyard. Is there a person close at home I am taking for granted? If so, how might I show my appreciation for him or her today? Lord Jesus, help me to see the people, places, and things of my world through your eyes.” by Sr. Melannie Svoboda
Pat nuggets: Today’s image goes with the inspiring “NEW” Counter Culture News story (below).
* “May the words I say…and the things I do…make my Lifesong sing…bring a smile to You!”, Lifesong by Casting Crowns
* From “Living Faith Kids” (recommended!): “God has given us three gifts that are more precious than all the treasures on earth. First, we have the gift of life, to breathe and grow, to think and feel. Second, we have the gift of freedom, to choose right from wrong, love from hate. Finally, God gives us the gift of Himself in Christ Jesus. He walked on earth, performed miracles, and is still present in the Sacraments. Even with all this, many turn away and refuse to accept Jesus. If you believe in Christ, show it now, before it’s too late.”
Faith Challenges: Let’s generously share the LIFE Group by fwding a devotion or using the Facebook “invite people to join” link.
* NEW: Let’s seek God’s gift of forgiveness and love/forgive others in return. In preparation for Easter, let’s be enriched by the Sacrament of Reconciliation and Stations of the Cross. Most Catholic churches have Stations from 7 to 7:30 PM on Fridays of Lent.
* NEW: How are the Stations of the Cross meaningful to you? Comments on the Facebook page can be appreciated by many.
Counter-Culture News: LifeSiteNews, Vatican, American Family Association, Priests for Life
* Let’s never forget the horrific reality of abortion (images), #1 cause of death in America (23% of pregnancies). Let’s courageously share ProLife Truth to expose abortion’s unjust peace, rebuilding a Culture of Life for setting the unborn (and parents) free!
* NEW: Today’s image is a firefighter saving a baby’s life (an inspirational true story). I heard a news report where a firefighter said that spending a million dollars on community Advanced Life Support was worth it…if it “saves a life.” Thank God for the “service before self” firefighters and all those who work to save lives. We also have the means to save lives with our God-given power (prayer/action)! Consider giving an hour of prayer in front of your local abortuary in support of 40 Days for Life (until 28 March, 204 babies saved so far).
Our Prayers: Those who pray together stay together, and close to God (footnotes). Peters family (JP). Prayer to end abortion, Vicki Kerkvliet (mother’s heart problem), Carol Nesbitt (mother in law passed away)
* NEW: Jason Peters shared, “Everyone has seen a prayer request in the devotions for our son JP Peters. He has spent most of almost the last two years in the hospital (18 of 21 months). He was near death in January of 2009. For myself and my family to answer the question of “how are you reminded of your need for God?”, all we need to do is wake up in the morning.” See entire comment on Friday’s devotion on Facebook page.
Feast Day: St. John of God, feel the drama…wow! “Patron saint of booksellers, printers, heart patients, hospitals, nurses, the sick, and firefighters.” Dear Lord, like Saint John of God, “help us to act out of love as soon as we feel the promptings of the Holy Spirit. Help us learn to fight the little voices in our heads and hearts that give us all sorts of practical reasons to wait or delay in our service of God.”
Faith Quote: “Remember always that your field of apostolate is your own personal Life. Here is where the message of the Gospel has first to be preached and lived.” John Paul II
Our Lenten Journey continues,
* Prayer: Prayer connects us with God’s will & His miracles, changing us & helping others. ‘If you pray that God will move a mountain and He doesn’t, assume Christ wants you to climb it instead.
* Fasting: Let’s fast from things that take our eyes off Jesus (selfishness, pornography, bitterness, criticalness, impatience, gossip, excessive video games, etc) and take on things that fix our eyes on Jesus (selflessness, kindness, compassion, forgiveness, patience, understanding, caring, helping, listening).
* Defend the unborn: ‘Rescue those who are unjustly sentenced to death; don’t stand back and let them die’ (Prov 24:11). ‘Before I formed you in the womb, I knew you’ (Jer 1:5). ‘It is a great poverty that a child must die that you might live as you wish’ (Blessed Mother Teresa).
* Evangelization: Let’s make room for unbelievers (be a friend, make a friend, lead a friend to Christ) and perpetual re-evangelization of self and those near us, by way of daily prayer (relationship) and following Christ’s example of selfless love, mercy, and service (Matt 28:19).
Post A Comment