10 Sep Luke 6:36 (mercy)
Posted on Thursday 10 September, 2009
Let’s welcome God this morning by reflecting on this short Living In Faith Exchange (LIFE) Group devotion (life-devotions.blogspot.com), which is based on Living Faith. All whatsoever you do in word or in work, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ. Col. 3:17
Be merciful, just as [also] your Father is merciful.
Luke 6:36 (full readings
Living Faith snippets: “When I was growing up, there was tremendous emphasis in spiritual training on “be perfect, just as your heavenly Father is perfect,” the parallel passage to this verse in Luke (Matthew 5:48). Then I heard a Scripture scholar say that he was convinced that a better capturing of what Jesus actually said was to be found in Luke’s account of that same sermon. I saw that it was precisely because I had not been perfect myself, because I had needed and received mercy from others, that I had begun to learn to be merciful.” by Patricia Livingston
Rich’s comments: Most people would agree that we are far from perfect. We have all heard the saying, “to err is human, to forgive divine.” By forgiving others, we are emanating our Father in heaven. We all need the healing ministry of Jesus in our own life, and we are called to extend that healing ministry to others. Forgiveness is a fundamental element of Christianity. Thank you Lord for being a God of forgiveness and mercy. May Your mercy teach me to be merciful. Amen.
Let’s all invite one person each week (John 14:6
) to join our LIFE Group (>220 ProLife
* NEW: Show mercy today. Be patient. Be understanding. Be forgiving. Be loving.
* Let’s never forget the horrific reality of abortion (images
)…#1 cause of death in America.
Let’s courageously share ProLife
Truth to create social tension for exposing abortion’s unjust peace…rebuilding a Culture of Life (Matt 5:16
) and setting the unborn free!
Those who pray together stay together. Fasting ideas in footnote below.
* Prayer to end abortion
, abused children, chastity, peace, our enemies, our troops, depression/ despair, prisoners, ProLife
politicians, illnesses/injuries, jobs, natural disasters, refugees, addictions, persecuted believers, Peters family (JP in hospital), Stephanie Spader
(healthy pregnancy), Adrian Hermosillo (sister Angelica battling cancer).
Faith Quote: “If you judge people, you have no time to love them.” – Mother Teresa
Through Christ our Lord,
* Prayer: Prayer connects us with God’s will & His miracles, changing us & helping others. ‘If you pray that God will move a mountain and He doesn’t, assume Christ wants you to climb it instead.’
* Fasting: Let’s fast from things that take our eyes off Jesus (selfishness, bitterness, being so critical, impatience, gossip, excessive video games, etc) and take on things that fix our eyes on Jesus (selflessness, kindness, compassion, forgiveness, patience, understanding, caring, helping, listening).
* Defend the unborn: ‘Rescue those who are unjustly sentenced to death; don’t stand back and let them die’ (Prov 24:11). ‘Before I formed you in the womb, I knew you’ (Jer 1:5). ‘It is a great poverty that a child must die that you might live as you wish’ (Blessed Mother Teresa).
Let’s make room for unbelievers (be a friend, make a friend, lead friend to Christ) and perpetual re-evangelization
of self and those near us, by way of daily prayer (relationship) and following Christ’s example of selfless love, mercy, and service (Matt 28:19