27 Jan Mark 4:21-22 (Beautiful Junk) by Todd Church
Welcome God now with this LIFE Group Devotion (website, Facebook).
“Is a lamp brought in to be placed under a bushel basket or under a bed, and not to be placed on a lampstand? For there is nothing hidden except to be made visible; nothing is secret except to come to light….” Mark 4:21-22 (full readings)
Todd’s Reflections: Last Sunday night we had our first Life Night (Catholic Youth Ministry Program) at our parish. The theme for the night was ‘Junkyard Wars’, and the kids were asked to build something recognizable from tables full of junk. It was amazing what they were able to do with a little creativity and some duct tape! What is hidden is often unrecognizable until it is brought out into the open, where it can be cultivated into what Jesus has in mind for us – to be the light of Christ in this world. The prophet Jeremiah tells us that God has plans for our welfare, not woe (Jer 29:11). The pieces of our lives that are woeful are often like those piles of junk: unrecognizable, incomprehensible or unbearable. By examining them more closely and using the grace God gives us, we can find out where they fit into His plan for us. Then we will become the lamp that shines brightly, so that what was hidden will be made visible.
* Todd Church, his wife Ann, and their two sons John and David live in Grants, New Mexico. Ann is an NFP only Obstetrician/Gynecologist. Todd is in deacon formation and serves in youth/music ministry in his parish.
Faith Challenge: Place your “beautiful junk” before the Lord today and see what amazing things He can do with it. Take courage and be like the lamp set upon the hill for all to see.
Counter-Culture News: LSN, Vatican, AFA, Priests for Life, Live Action
* Check out this solidly pro-life publication/website recently acquired by EWTN – National Catholic Register.
Our Prayers: Prayer to end abortion, Alpha Center, Peters family (JP). Add Prayers on our website. Pray with meals, bedtime, wake up, running, etc. Consider mid-week Family Rosary (17 min). Let’s pray now.
Feast Day: St. Angela Merici (d. 1540) “Angela has the double distinction of founding the first teaching congregation of women in the Church and what is now called a “secular institute” of religious women.”
Faith Quote: “Preach the Gospel always; if necessary, use words.” ~ St. Francis of Assisi
Through Christ Our Lord,
* Pray/Fast: Prayer connects us with God’s will & His miracles, changing us & helping others. Fast from things that take your eyes off Jesus. Those who pray together stay together, and close to God!
* Save Unborn (& family): Abortion reality (images)…#1 death cause (23% pregnancies).Prov 24:11 & Jer 1:5. “A great poverty that a child must die that you might live as you wish.” Mother Teresa
* Evangelize: Make room for unbelievers & re-evangelization of self, by way of prayer (relationship) and following Christ’s example of love (service/sacrifice/mercy). Matt 28:19.
Post A Comment