05 Feb Mark 6:7-8 (beyond comfort)
Welcome God every morning before your work by taking ~5 min to read this Living In Faith Exchange (LIFE) Group devotion (life-devotions.blogspot.com), which has snippets from Living Faith. All whatsoever you do in word or in work, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ. Col. 3:17
[Jesus] summoned the Twelve and began to send them out two by two and gave them authority over unclean spirits. He instructed them… Mark 6:7-8
Living Faith snippets: “It is not enough by far to have taken radical initial steps of conversion and to be a reasonably observant and faithful Christian. At the center of our being we must remain poor and free and available to God, rather than barricade ourselves through habit to the approaches of God’s ever-surprising grace.” by Erasmo Leiva-Merikakis
Rich’s comments: Being a military person, I am very accustom to and feel very comfortable with rules and regulations. I believe that we need to be careful though that we do not become stuck in our life routines. It is comforting to have a set way of doing things even in the ways that we worship God. But like the devotion says this morning, we need to avoid “barricading ourselves through habit to the approaches of God.” Do not become rigid with religion. Let God be God, and be open to His “ever-surprising grace.”
Faith Challenge: Let’s challenge each other to J.O.Y.-fully live out the Good News and gladly tell others about it (Mark 16:15). Suggestions?
* NEW: Welcome people over to your house for a meal and fellowship.
Our Prayers: Those who pray together stay together. Fasting ideas below.
* Let’s pray for courage to share ProLife Truth to those around us (John 14:6)…rebuilding a Culture of Life (Matt 5:16).
* Prayer to End Abortion, chastity, peace, our enemies, our troops, depression/ despair, prisoners, Pres Obama becomes ProLife, lack of faith, illnesses/injuries, Papa Joe Castle (brain bleed resolution), Maureen Morgan (reconciliation for Sue Peterson and son), Rich Reich (Fr. Tim prostate surgery Thurs), Liz Curry (abused children), Rob Ouellette (Helmy, Ruth, Shane, Reda’s father, Di), Zek Kazanca (PhD exam 12 Feb in Turkey), Peters family (JP updates, consider fasting for him)
* NEW: Mark Nelson (Pat Barton, biopsy results today)
Feast Day (St. Agatha): http://www.catholic.org/saints/saint.php?saint_id=14
Faith Quote: “God moves in mysterious way His wonders to perform; He plants his footsteps on the sea and rides upon the storm.” by William Cowper
Through Christ Our Lord,
Today’s Bible readings here. Reflections for readings here.
* Prayer: Prayer connects us with God’s will & His miracles, thereby changing us & helping others. Wayne Watson lyrics, “When God’s people pray, there is hope reborn, there is sin forgiven, and miracles you can’t explain await!” ‘If you pray that God will move a mountain and He doesn’t, assume Christ wants you to climb it instead & see Him.’
* Fasting: Let’s fast from things that takes our eyes off Jesus (selfishness, bitterness, being so critical, impatience, gossip, excessive video games, etc) and take on things that fix our eyes on Jesus (selflessness, kindness, compassion, forgiveness, patience, understanding, caring, helping, listening).
* Defend the unborn: ‘Rescue those who are unjustly sentenced to death; don’t stand back and let them die’ (Prov 24:11). ‘Before I formed you in the womb, I knew you’ (Jer 1:5). ‘It is a great poverty that a child must die that you might lie as you wish’ Blessed Mother Teresa.
* Evangelization: Let’s make room for unbelievers (be a friend, make a friend, lead friend to Christ) and perpetual re-evangelization of self and those near us, by way of daily prayer (relationship) and following Christ’s example of selfless love, mercy, and service.
Let’s J.O.Y.-fully live out the Good News and gladly tell others about it (Mark 16:15)!