19 Mar Matthew 1:20 (listening to God’s whispers)
Posted on Thursday 19 March, 2009
Welcome God every morning before your work by taking ~5 min to read this Living In Faith Exchange (LIFE) Group devotion (life-devotions.blogspot.com), which has snippets from Living Faith. All whatsoever you do in word or in work, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ. Col. 3:17
Behold, the angel of the Lord appeared to him in a dream. Matthew 1:20
Living Faith snippets: “At one point, in calling the young people to involve God in their life choices, [Pope Benedict] simply asked, “What is God whispering to you?” What an appropriate place to plant such a seed–a place named after St. Joseph who overcame fear and confusion because he responded in faith to the whisperings of God through a dream.” by Amy Welborn
Rich’s comments: Joseph and Mary are a model for those who find themselves overcome with fear and confusion over a so-called “unplanned pregnancy.” They both listened to God whispering to them and trusted God that although the pregnancy was not in their plans, it was always a part of God’s plan. Mary and Joseph were very prayerful, God-fearing people, who were in touch with God, and could recognize when God was speaking to them. Today, women involved in a crisis pregnancy hear many voices; some of evil and some from God. Lord, give us the courage to amplify Your voice so that others may hear you too. Amen.
Faith Challenge: Let’s challenge each other to joyfully live out the Good News. Suggestions?
* NEW: Research the Pro-Life cause in your state legislature. Find out what bills need your support and let your politicians hear your voice.
* Let’s never forget the horrific reality of abortion (images
)…#1 cause of death in America. Let’s share ProLife
Truth (John 14:6
)…rebuilding a Culture of Life (Matt 5:16
* NOW (25 Feb-5 Apr): Support the 40 Days for Life
campaign by praying by an abortion mill for one hour (Matt 26:40
)…let’s defend the voiceless unborn!
Pro-Life Conference tidbits:
Florida State Representative Charles Van Zant
spoke at the Florida Students for Life Conference. He shared an amazing story about how he came into office. He worked as an architect for a Florida company responsible for projects such as Disney World’s underground tunnels and the Tampa International Airport. Rep. Van Zant
retired shortly after listening to God whisper to him that he had needs for him. Rep. Van Zant
then became involved in missionary work in which he utilized his architect skills to construct schools and hospitals in third world countries. His call to run for Florida State Representative in the 2008 elections was also a result of him listening to God’s voice. God told him that he needed him to fight abortion in the political arena. Rep. Van Zant
is a supporter of the Ultrasound Bill which would require pregnant women to have an ultrasound. It would also require doctors to allow the woman to view the live ultrasound images unless she’s a victim of rape, incest or human trafficking. Under the bill, a woman could decline seeing the ultrasound image by signing a form. If this bill passes, it would provide women with the visual truth that there is a human life within her whose voice wants to be heard.
Our Prayers: Those who pray together stay together. Fasting ideas below.
* Prayer to end abortion
, abused children, chastity, peace, our enemies, our troops, depression/ despair, prisoners, ProLife
politicians, lack of faith, illnesses/injuries, jobs, Paul Cote (sister Christine with cancer), John Lown
in ICU), Carla Neal (Elena, Ghirmay
, Gianna, Becky, John , Emily & Jean), Kathy Castle (for repose of the soul of Marv Christiansen
), Steve Castle (pregnant wife Tina very sick)
* NEW: Sharmane Calvin (Dr. Earl’s family; Dr. Earl passed away Tuesday night)
Feast Day (St. Joseph):
Read about the foster father of Jesus here
, an obedient man of faith, who listened to God’s whispers.
Faith Quote: “Saint Joseph was a just man, a tireless worker, the upright guardian of those entrusted to his care. May he always guard, protect and enlighten familes.” – Pope John Paul II
Through Christ Our Lord,
* Prayer: Prayer connects us with God’s will & His miracles, changing us & helping others. ‘If you pray that God will move a mountain and He doesn’t, assume Christ wants you to climb it instead.’
* Fasting: Let’s fast from things that take our eyes off Jesus (selfishness, bitterness, being so critical, impatience, gossip, excessive video games, etc) and take on things that fix our eyes on Jesus (selflessness, kindness, compassion, forgiveness, patience, understanding, caring, helping, listening).
* Defend the unborn: ‘Rescue those who are unjustly sentenced to death; don’t stand back and let them die’ (Prov 24:11). ‘Before I formed you in the womb, I knew you’ (Jer 1:5). ‘It is a great poverty that a child must die that you might live as you wish’ (Blessed Mother Teresa).
* Evangelization: Let’s make room for unbelievers (be a friend, make a friend, lead friend to Christ) and perpetual re-evangelization of self and those near us, by way of daily prayer (relationship) and following Christ’s example of selfless love, mercy, and service.
Let’s joyfully invite others to join our LIFE Group…Rich or Pat will gladly add them to the devotions distribution list (Mark 16:15)!