27 Aug Matthew 24:42 (live your faith today)
Posted on Thursday 27 August, 2009
Let’s welcome God this morning by reflecting on this short Living In Faith Exchange (LIFE) Group devotion (life-devotions.blogspot.com), which is based on Living Faith. All whatsoever you do in word or in work, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ. Col. 3:17
Therefore, stay awake! For you do not know on which day your Lord will come.
Matthew 24:42 (full readings
Living Faith snippets: “If I am deliberately conscious of how I am living and responding, I will be ready for when my life ends. Each day provides countless opportunities to grow in virtue. There are endless situations for welcoming Christ in others. There are continual reminders to live gratefully. There are untold possibilities for responding to God’s grace. If I am attentive and alert to these matters, then I need not live with fear or concern about the timing of my death.” by Sr. Joyce Rupp
Rich’s comments: This weekend my church is having a Time and Talent Festival in which the parishioners will be presented with many opportunities to share their time and talent that God has given them. Many will volunteer for different ministries that will serve the church and surrounding community, and others will ignore the call to serve. It is easy to put things off to the future when we feel we will have more money to give or time to serve. It is easy to become complacent and comfortable with business as usual without adding any new challenges to our life that might deepen our faith. Turn off the cruise control and start living your faith today.
Faith Challenge: Let’s invite others to join our LIFE Group (>215 Christians).
* NEW: Be receptive to the opportunities to live out your faith today.
* Let’s never forget the horrific reality of abortion (images
)…#1 cause of death in America.
Let’s courageously share ProLife
Truth (John 14:6
) to create social tension for exposing abortion’s unjust peace…rebuilding a Culture of Life (Matt 5:16
) and setting the unborn free!
Our Prayers: Those who pray together stay together. Fasting ideas in footnote below.
* Prayer to end abortion
, abused children, chastity, peace, our enemies, our troops, depression/ despair, prisoners, ProLife
politicians, illnesses/injuries, jobs, natural disasters, refugees, addictions, persecuted believers, Rich Reich (friend Carolyn battling cancer), Peters family (JP in hospital), Stephanie Spader
(healthy pregnancy), Steve/Tina Castle (sell their home).
Feast Day: St. Monica
(the mother of St. Augustine).
Faith Quote: “Find out how much God has given you and from it take what you need; the remainder is needed by others. ” – St. Augustine
Through Christ our Lord,
* Prayer: Prayer connects us with God’s will & His miracles, changing us & helping others. ‘If you pray that God will move a mountain and He doesn’t, assume Christ wants you to climb it instead.’
* Fasting: Let’s fast from things that take our eyes off Jesus (selfishness, bitterness, being so critical, impatience, gossip, excessive video games, etc) and take on things that fix our eyes on Jesus (selflessness, kindness, compassion, forgiveness, patience, understanding, caring, helping, listening).
* Defend the unborn: ‘Rescue those who are unjustly sentenced to death; don’t stand back and let them die’ (Prov 24:11). ‘Before I formed you in the womb, I knew you’ (Jer 1:5). ‘It is a great poverty that a child must die that you might live as you wish’ (Blessed Mother Teresa).
* Evangelization: Let’s make room for unbelievers (be a friend, make a friend, lead friend to Christ) and perpetual re-evangelization of self and those near us, by way of daily prayer (relationship) and following Christ’s example of selfless love, mercy, and service.