01 May Matthew 28:16-17 (Ascension of the Lord)
Posted on Thursday 01 May, 2008
* Welcome God every morning before work by taking ~5 min to read this Living In Faith Exchange (LIFE) Group devotion (life-devotions.blogspot.com), which has snippets from Living Faith (livingfaith.com).
The eleven disciples went to Galilee, to the mountain which Jesus had ordered them. When they saw him, they worshiped, but they doubted. Matthew 28:16-17
Living Faith snippets: “We should never kid ourselves that somehow visual evidence puts all doubts to rest. Faith and doubt quite often exist together. Doubt doesn’t invalidate faith, not the faith of the first disciples, and not our faith. Yes, ‘they doubted.’ But they also ‘worshipped.’ And their worship is what mattered. Jesus doesn’t give them grief for their doubt. He commissions them, and us, to ‘make disciples of all nations.’ Lord Jesus, help me to not take my doubts too seriously.” by Mitch Finley
Rich’s comments: Today we celebrate the Ascension of the Lord. Jesus’ departure and ascension into heaven was both an end and a beginning for His disciples. While it was the end of Jesus’ physical presence with His beloved disciples, it marked the beginning of Jesus’ presence with them in a new way. Jesus promised that He would be with them always to the end of time. Now as the glorified and risen Lord and Savior, ascended to the right hand of the Father in heaven, Jesus promised to give them the power of his Holy Spirit, which we see fulfilled ten days later on the Feast of Pentecost (Luke 24:49 and Acts 2:1-4). When the Lord Jesus departed physically from the apostles, they were not left alone or powerless. Jesus assured them of his presence and the power of the Holy Spirit.
Today is the National Day of Prayer designated by the United States Congress as a day when all Americans regardless of faith are asked to come together and pray in their own way. It is held on the first Thursday in May. For more information, please visit the official National Day of Prayer website here. Lord Jesus, we pray that through the gift of your Holy Spirit, You fill us with an indomitable spirit of praise and joy so that we may witness to those around us the joy of the gospel and the reality of Your resurrection. Amen.
Through Christ Our Lord,
* Today’s Bible readings at www.usccb.org/nab/today.shtml.
* Prayer: If you have a prayer request, simply send it to our distribution list at email@example.com. Prayer connects us with God’s will & His miracles, thereby changing us & helping others (so let’s pray daily!). Wayne Watson lyrics, “When God’s people pray, there is hope reborn, there is sin forgiven, and miracles you can’t explain await!” “If you pray that God will move a mountain and He doesn’t, assume Christ wants you to climb it instead & see Him.”
* Defend the unborn: ProLife websites at life-devotions.blogspot.com. ‘Rescue those who are unjustly sentenced to death; don’t stand back and let them die’ (Prov 24:11). ‘Before I formed you in the womb, I knew you’ (Jer 1:5). ‘It is a great poverty that a child must die that you might live as you wish’ Blessed Mother Teresa. Click for Prayer to End Abortion.
* Share the Good News: Let’s joyfully live out the Good News and gladly tell others about it (Mark 16:15)! Let’s make time to share with unbelievers…and to re-evangelize ourselves and our Western culture.