18 Jun Matthew 6:7 (prayer)
Posted on Thursday 18 June, 2009
Let’s welcome God every morning before work by giving a few minutes to read this Living In Faith Exchange (LIFE) Group devotion (life-devotions.blogspot.com), which is based on Living Faith. All whatsoever you do in word or in work, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ. Col. 3:17
In praying, do not babble like the pagans, who think that they will be heard because of their many words.
Matthew 6:7 (full readings
Living Faith snippets: “Many words do not necessarily make good prayer. God hears your prayer not because of countless words but because of God’s immense love. Jesus is trying to open our hearts to recognize and value the spirit of prayer. He is indirectly saying, don’t try to get heaven’s attention by a lot of wordy prayers.” by Sr. Macrina Wiederkehr
Rich’s comments: Sometimes I catch myself speeding off quickly a rote prayer in my head without any real thought to the meaning of the words. When I recognize this, I slow down and think about each word. I think about the beauty of each word selected in the prayer and what meaning it has for me at that moment. I also do this with the prayers that are said aloud in Church. This allows me to become fully present in the words of the prayer and brings me into an intimate conversation with God.
Faith Challenge: Let’s challenge each other to joyfully live out the Good News.
* NEW: Be fully present in your prayers to God.
Our Prayers: Those who pray together stay together. Fasting ideas in footnote below.
* Prayer to end abortion
, abused children, chastity, peace, our enemies, our troops, depression/ despair, prisoners, ProLife
politicians, illnesses/injuries, jobs, natural disasters, addictions.
*NEW: Rich Reich (pray for the soul and family of Troy Doyle who passed away recently)
“Dear Jesus, help me to spread Thy fragrance everywhere I go. Flood my soul with Thy spirit and love. Penetrate and possess my whole
being so utterly that all my life may only be a radiance of Thine. Shine through me and be so in me that every soul I come in contact with may feel Thy presence in my soul. Let them look up and see no longer me but only Jesus. Stay with me and then I shall begin to shine as you shine, so to shine as to be a light to others.” – Mother Teresa’s Daily Prayer
Through Christ our Lord,
* Prayer: Prayer connects us with God’s will & His miracles, changing us & helping others. ‘If you pray that God will move a mountain and He doesn’t, assume Christ wants you to climb it instead.’
* Fasting: Let’s fast from things that take our eyes off Jesus (selfishness, bitterness, being so critical, impatience, gossip, excessive video games, etc) and take on things that fix our eyes on Jesus (selflessness, kindness, compassion, forgiveness, patience, understanding, caring, helping, listening).
* Defend the unborn: ‘Rescue those who are unjustly sentenced to death; don’t stand back and let them die’ (Prov 24:11). ‘Before I formed you in the womb, I knew you’ (Jer 1:5). ‘It is a great poverty that a child must die that you might live as you wish’ (Blessed Mother Teresa).
* Evangelization: Let’s make room for unbelievers (be a friend, make a friend, lead friend to Christ) and perpetual re-evangelization of self and those near us, by way of daily prayer (relationship) and following Christ’s example of selfless love, mercy, and service.
Let’s joyfully invite others to join our LIFE Group…Rich or Pat will gladly add them to the devotions distribution list (Mark 16:15)!