30 Jun Matthew 8:24 (resting in peace)
Posted on Tuesday 30 June, 2009
Let’s welcome God every morning by reflecting on this short Living In Faith Exchange (LIFE) Group devotion (life-devotions.blogspot.com), which is based on Living Faith. All whatsoever you do in word or in work, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ. Col. 3:17
He was asleep.
Matthew 8:24 (full readings
Living Faith snippets: “Someone once told me she wanted to be able to sleep during the storms of life, just as Jesus had in the boat. At the time, I thought it a rather creative understanding of the gospel passage. Now I think I’m beginning to understand what she meant: Absolute confidence, in the fact of life or death, remains at peace.” by Sr. Kathryn James Hermes
Rich’s comments: When we are afraid or stressed do we forget that God is with us during the storm? Peace is trusting in God that He will be with us to the end. Lord, help me to remember that You are always by my side. Fill me with Your peace. Amen.
Faith Challenge: Let’s challenge each other to joyfully live out the Good News.
* NEW: The next time that you find yourself in a storm, pray to God and you will find peace.
* Let’s never forget the horrific reality of abortion (images
)…#1 cause of death in America. Let’s courageously share ProLife
Truth (John 14:6
) to create social tension for exposing abortion’s unjust peace…rebuilding a Culture of Life (Matt 5:16
) and setting the unborn free!
Our Prayers: Those who pray together stay together. Fasting ideas in footnote below.
* Prayer to end abortion
, abused children, chastity, peace, our enemies, our troops, depression/ despair, prisoners, ProLife
politicians, illnesses/injuries, jobs, natural disasters, addictions, Carla Neal (Jonathan Barlow, Margaret Solms
, Dan, Joe and Becky).
Feast Day: (The First Holy Martyrs of the Holy Roman Church) The holy men and women are also called the “Protomartyrs of Rome.” They were accused of burning Rome by Nero , who burned Rome to cover his own crimes. Some martyrs were burned as living torches at evening banquets, some crucified, others were fed to wild animals. These martyrs died before Sts. Peter and Paul, and are called “disciples of the Apostles. . . whom the Holy Roman church sent to their Lord before the Apostles’ death.”
Faith Quote: “Peace is not the absence of conflict, but the ability to cope with it.” – anonymous
Through Christ our Lord,
* Prayer: Prayer connects us with God’s will & His miracles, changing us & helping others. ‘If you pray that God will move a mountain and He doesn’t, assume Christ wants you to climb it instead.’
* Fasting: Let’s fast from things that take our eyes off Jesus (selfishness, bitterness, being so critical, impatience, gossip, excessive video games, etc) and take on things that fix our eyes on Jesus (selflessness, kindness, compassion, forgiveness, patience, understanding, caring, helping, listening).
* Defend the unborn: ‘Rescue those who are unjustly sentenced to death; don’t stand back and let them die’ (Prov 24:11). ‘Before I formed you in the womb, I knew you’ (Jer 1:5). ‘It is a great poverty that a child must die that you might live as you wish’ (Blessed Mother Teresa).
* Evangelization: Let’s make room for unbelievers (be a friend, make a friend, lead friend to Christ) and perpetual re-evangelization of self and those near us, by way of daily prayer (relationship) and following Christ’s example of selfless love, mercy, and service.
Let’s joyfully invite others to join our LIFE Group…Rich or Pat will gladly add them to the devotions distribution list (Mark 16:15)!