19 Aug Psalm 40:7 (from deed to faith)
Posted on Wednesday 19 August, 2009
Let’s welcome God this morning by reflecting on this short Living In Faith Exchange (LIFE) Group devotion (life-devotions.blogspot.com), which is based on Living Faith. All whatsoever you do in word or in work, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ. Col. 3:17
Sacrifice or oblation you wished not, but ears open to obedience you gave me.
Psalm 40:7 (full readings
Living Faith snippets: “When I was young, I wanted nothing more than to do the holy will of God. I knew I had made some poor choices in my life up to that point, and I wanted God to know that I repented of those sins and that I had placed him first in my life. I devoured books on the lives of the saints, wanting to emulate their every act of love and penitence. Despite my best efforts, I still fell short, and so I daily resolved to find ways to make sacrifices that would prove to God my sincerity of heart. Not only was it exhausting, but it had the unanticipated counter-effect of making me proud of my imagined control and ascetic resolve. How much like the Pharisees I had become! In those days of youthful extremes, this psalm was like a beacon light for me, slowly guiding me back from deeds to faith, from self-scrutiny to the heart of love.” by Claire J. King
Faith Challenge: Let’s invite others to join the LIFE Group (>210 Christians).
NEW: Although we are called to do God’s will, never forget that it is your faith in our Lord Jesus Christ that saves.
Those who pray together stay together. Fasting ideas in footnote below.
* Prayer to end abortion
, abused children, chastity, peace, our enemies, our troops, depression/ despair, prisoners, ProLife
politicians, illnesses/injuries, jobs, natural disasters, refugees, addictions, persecuted believers, Rich Reich (friend Carolyn battling cancer), Peters family (JP in hospital), Stephanie Spader
(pregnancy concerns), Steve/Tina Castle (sell their home)
* UPDATE: “Had a doc appt yesterday and I’m still very early in the pregnancy (3 mo) BUT the baby is ahead of schedule already (about a week) so that is GREAT! Praise God…we still are praying for a BIG HEALTHY baby.” – Stephanie Spader
Faith Quote: “Many people mistake our work for our vocation. Our vocation is the love of Jesus.” – Mother Teresa
Through Christ our Lord,
* Prayer: Prayer connects us with God’s will & His miracles, changing us & helping others. ‘If you pray that God will move a mountain and He doesn’t, assume Christ wants you to climb it instead.’
* Fasting: Let’s fast from things that take our eyes off Jesus (selfishness, bitterness, being so critical, impatience, gossip, excessive video games, etc) and take on things that fix our eyes on Jesus (selflessness, kindness, compassion, forgiveness, patience, understanding, caring, helping, listening).
* Defend the unborn: ‘Rescue those who are unjustly sentenced to death; don’t stand back and let them die’ (Prov 24:11). ‘Before I formed you in the womb, I knew you’ (Jer 1:5). ‘It is a great poverty that a child must die that you might live as you wish’ (Blessed Mother Teresa).
* Evangelization: Let’s make room for unbelievers (be a friend, make a friend, lead friend to Christ) and perpetual re-evangelization of self and those near us, by way of daily prayer (relationship) and following Christ’s example of selfless love, mercy, and service.