08 Mar Sat, 8 Mar (John 7:40-41)
* Welcome God every morning by reading the Living Faith devotional before work (~1 min). Order at http://www.livingfaith.com/.
Some in the crowd…said, “This is truly the Prophet.” Others said, “This is the Messiah.” But others said, “The Messiah will not come from Galilee, will he?” John 7:40-41
Living Faith snippets: “It is natural to want to defend our own understanding of Jesus–Jesus as we see him. But Jesus doesn’t belong to any one of us; we belong to him. He is not ours; we are his. We do not lay claim to Jesus so much as he grasps hold of us. Our main task is to let go, allow ourselves to be claimed by Christ and surrender to the mystery that is Jesus.” by Karla Manternach
Rich’s comments: There will often come a time when we have to take a stand for Christ and for the gospel. To stand for Jesus may provoke mockery or unpopularity. In my graduate chemistry program I have to attend a weekly analytical chemistry seminar. Every week a new graduate student gives a 50 minute talk about their research or a certain analytical topic from the literature. The last slide of every presentation is usually an acknowledgments slide in which the speaker thanks those individuals who gave them support in preparing for their talk (e.g. their advisor, fellow group members, family, and friends). One specific talk from last semester sticks out in my mind. At the end of the speaker’s presentation, she thanks her advisor, her friends and family, and then she thanks Jesus Christ. The atmosphere in the room seemed a bit ackward afterwards, but then everyone did the socially acceptable thing and applauded as usual. I was proud of her allegiance to Christ in front of a scientific audience. A diverse crowd with diverse opinions of the identity of Jesus. Are you ready to stand for Jesus and to show him honor and loyalty whatever it may cost you? Lord, may I be loyal to you always, even though it produces a cross on earth, that I may share in your crown eternity. Amen.
Through Christ for Life,
* 40 Days for Life campaign (ends 16 Mar): http://www.40daysforlife.com/.
* Daily Bible readings at www.usccb.org/nab/today.shtml
* LIFE Devotions blog at life-devotions.blogspot.com.
* LIFE Prayers blog at life-prayers.blogspot.com. Prayer connects us with God’s will & His miracles, thereby changing us & helping others (so let’s pray daily!). Click for Prayer to End Abortion.
* Sr. Francelle Devotions at sisterfrancelle.blogspot.com.
* Defend the unborn: Pro-Life websites are listed on the blog. “Before I formed you in the womb, I knew you” (Jer 1:5). “You knit me together in my mother’s womb” (Ps 139:13). “Rescue those who are unjustly sentenced to death; don’t stand back and let them die” (Prov 24:11). “It is a great poverty that a child must die that you might live as you wish” Blessed Mother Teresa.
* Share the Good News: Let’s joyfully live out the Good News and gladly tell others about it (Mark 16:15)!