20 Feb Wed, 20 Feb (Matt 20:18)
* Welcome God every day by reading the Living Faith devotional before work (~1 min). Order at http://www.livingfaith.com/.
* Remove from distro?: If you would rather just view the devotions on the blog (no emails), I can remove you from the email distro list.
Behold, we are going to Jerusalem, and the Son of Man will be handed over… Matt 20:18
Devotion snippets: “Jesus knew his enemies awaited him. I was inspired by this kind of profound surrender when a friend surrendered peacefully and welcomed death as a release into the arms of God. As with Jesus, this surrender did not come easily for Dorothy. She entrusted herself totally to God, as Jesus did, and found peace of mind and heart in the final months.” by Sr. Joyce Rupp
Pat’s nuggets: Last night, I went to the C. Springs Shroud of Turin Center with a physics friend, Doug Young. The center is in the basement of Dr. John Jackson’s home (like going to a secret Christian hideout in Cappadocia, Turkey!). Apparently, Dr. Jackson’s basement is the last remaining hope (in the world) for authenticating the Shroud. Dr. Jackson lead the 1978 team that studied the Shroud. He is working on experiments to characterize the type/amount of energy required to cause the Shroud image and experiments that may prove the 1988 carbon dating was in error (carbon dating has the Shroud much younger than 1st century).
* Dr. Jackson’s new research will be presented on a BBC Shroud documentary the night before Easter. The documentary will apparently be discussed on the Today Show in the near future.
* Even if the Shroud of Turin is not the authentic burial cloth of Jesus, it is a mysterious (what caused the image?) and historically accurate representation of the crucifixion, bringing us closer to our Christ and “what greater love than this” (John 3:16).
* In 1977, a cadet was scheduled to help Dr. Jackson simulate the crucifixion as part of his efforts to authenticate the blood stains on the Shroud. The cadet told Dr. Jackson that he could not help him because he had to march tours (punishment). Dr. Jackson encouraged the cadet to ask his commander if he could suppliment crucifixion for the tours. The cadet was on time for his appointment with Dr. Jackson!
40 DAYS FOR LIFE: Learn about efforts in your area (through 16 Mar) and sign up for the daily updates email at http://www.40daysforlife.com/. Watch a couple minute clip on the “March for Life” (22 Jan) in Washington D.C. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VsD5Jv_mmL0.
* On Sat, 23 Feb, is anyone able to join me for a 3 to 5 AM or 8 to 9 PM prayer vigil shift at the local abortion clinic?
* “Before I formed you in the womb, I knew you.” Jeremiah 1:5
* “…you knit me together in my mother’s womb.” Psalm 139:13
Mother Teresa Quote: “It is a great poverty that a child must die that you might live as you wish.”
Through Christ Our Lord,
* Daily Bible readings: View at www.usccb.org/nab/today.shtml
* LIFE Devotions blog: View at life-devotions.blogspot.com. Sign up to comment at LIFE Devotions. Please fill in your profile. If inspired, add a comment and fwd it to the distro at email@example.com.
* LIFE Prayers blog: View at life-prayers.blogspot.com. Sign up to comment at LIFE Prayers. Prayer connects us with God’s will, changes us, and is part of miracles (so let’s pray daily!). Please “post” prayer requests (update with a “comment” then send update to distro email).
* Sr. Francelle Devotions: View at sisterfrancelle.blogspot.com. Let me know if you would like to be on the distro to receive her inspiring & challenging faith-application devotions (sent weekly).
* Let’s joyfully live out the Good News and gladly tell others about it (Mark 16:15)!