23 Jan Wed, 23 Jan (Mark 3:2)
…so that they might accuse him. Mark 3:2
Devotion* (snippets): “Jesus claimed the authority to do what God alone can do: forgive sins. [They] hoped to gather enough evidence to accuse him. Every time I put myself, my comfort, my ideas, my excuses before obedience, I am no longer a disciple; I have put myself in the place of judging the worth of His teaching and examples.”
Pat’s tidbits: I gave a two hour talk at church last night: “Hearing God’s Call & Ministries”. Why should we help with a ministry? Because God said so (Mark 16:15), and we will be blessed for our obedience! According to 1 Cor 3:6-9, God says we are his “coworkers” in ministry. We plant and water, but God makes it grow. In other words, we should not take credit or blame for the growth of our ministry work. As a loose analogy, weekend church time is the pregame meal (communion) and game plan (sermon)…our ministries during the week are game time. Ministries can be as informal as praying for intentions at every stoplight (Jane Hauffe) and saying “God bless you” everytime someone sneezes near you (Joel Cain), helping out with a formal ministry at your church (greeter, reader, usher, choir, etc), or helping out with a regional or national level ministry (retreat programs, Right to Life, etc). How do we make time for ministry in our busy lives (let go/let God, Matt 6:25-34)? Mark Foster reminded me that finding time for a ministry is like trying to fit a certain amount of big rocks, pebbles and sand into a jar. These certain amounts will only fit when you first put in the big rocks (God stuff, family, friends), then the pebbles (job, etc), and then the sand (hobbies, etc)! The theme song for ministry could be “Here I am Lord” by Dan Schutte (google the lyrics)…”I will go, Lord!”
LIFE Devotions blog comments*: Please consider adding blog “comments” to this devotion “post” regarding the ministries that you support.
LIFE Prayers blog*: Let us strive to integrate daily prayer into our lives…”prayer changes things”!
Through Christ Our Lord,
* Living Faith devotional: Welcome God into your day by reading Living Faith each morning (~1 min) before work. Order at http://www.livingfaith.com/.
* Faith Sharing: Consider sharing your faith inspirations with our group (e-mail and/or blog). Consider forwarding this devotion to your friends/family. If they desire, I will add them to the distro list. Let’s joyfully live out the Good News and gladly spread it to those around us (Mark 16:15)!
* Daily Bible readings: Today’s readings are found at http://www.usccb.org/nab/today.shtml (also linked in LIFE Devotions blog header).
* LIFE Devotions blog: Please sign up to comment on a devotion, click this link to sign up: LIFE Devotions blog.
* LIFE Prayers blog: Please sign up to add/update a prayer request, click this link to sign up: LIFE Prayers blog. For auto posting notification, click this link: prayers notify. The header of the LIFE Devotions blog has a link for the LIFE Prayers blog.
* Sr. Francelle’s Faith blog: If you want to see her wonderful weekly faith application messages, click this link to sign up: Sr. Francelle’s Faith blog. For auto posting notification email, click this link: Sr. Francelle notify.