06 Feb Wed, 6 Feb (Psalm 51:14)
* Welcome God into each day by reading the Living Faith devotional before work (~1 min). Order at http://www.livingfaith.com/.
Give me back the joy of your salvation, and a willing spirit sustain me. Psalm 51:14
Living Faith Devotion snippets: “During this Lent, we might think about what could restore us to life. What is missing in our relationship with Jesus? Perhaps we need to clear away the unnecessary (fasting) to see the essential. Perhaps we need to speak to Him more (pray) to find out. Perhaps we need to listen to Him more in the poor (almsgiving).” by Amy Welborn
Sr. Francelle Devotion snippets: “I look forward to the season of Lent with joy and excitement, because I know so many are going to get closer to Jesus. Lent prepares us for the greatest feast of all the year, the Resurrection, Easter Sunday! Lent begins on Ash Wednesday and lasts for forty days, in memory of Jesus’ forty day fast in the desert. The ashes we receive on our foreheads remind us, “we came from dust and unto dust we shall return.” Saying “no” to ourselves in small things, such as giving up sweets, refraining from expressing our opinion, having the last word, needing to be “right” always, not complaining, not blaming, etc., these all get us into the habit of “dying to self ” – then, when something bigger comes along, such as saying “no” to sin, we can conquer. If we wish to follow Jesus, we have no choice except to deny ourselves because Jesus said, “Unless you deny yourself, pick up your cross and follow me, you cannot be my disciples.” I know a family, who decided each member would do something kind each day during Lent, then at the evening meal, they share what they have done. If they can’t think of anything they did, they share some kind act they saw someone else do. As we walk the way of the cross with Jesus, may our hearts be transformed this Lent.”
Pat’s nuggets: For Lent, let us take on or give up something to help realize the mystery of true freedom through joyfully carrying our daily crosses as disciples of Jesus Christ…offering up each cross as a prayer for someone. Please consider sharing your Lent experiences as a blog comment to this devotion post.
Through Christ Our Lord,
* LIFE Devotions blog: Sign up at LIFE Devotions blog. For faith sharing, please comment on a devotion post. For faith networking, please fill in your blog profile.
* LIFE Prayers blog: Sign up at LIFE Prayers blog. Prayer changes things, so let’s pray daily. Please post a prayer request (update prayer with comment link).
* Distro additions?: I would gladly add your friends/family to our daily distro. Let’s joyfully live out the Good News and gladly tell others (Mark 16:15)!
* Daily Bible readings: Today’s readings are found at http://www.usccb.org/nab/today.shtml (link in blog header).
* Sr. Francelle Devotions blog: To see her wonderful weekly faith-application devotions, sign up at Sr. Francelle’s Faith blog. I would gladly add you and others to this distro.